This was my grandmother’s first Christmas withoutgrandfather. When we reached her house, it did seem a little 36 withoutgrandfather.
Grandfather had always said the Christmas 37 wasthe most important. So we set to work assembling（组装）thebeautiful 38 tree that was stored in grandfather’s closet（储藏室）. After we finished, we stepped back to 39 ourwork. It looked wonderful. But something was 40 .
“Where’s the star?” I asked. It was my grandmother’s 41 .As we emptied box after box and found no star, my grandmother’s eyes 42 withtears. Grandfather had given it to Grandmother fifty years ago. Now, on herfirst Christmas without 43 , the star was gone, too.
“Let’s 44 in the closet where thetree was,” my sister Donna said. We 45 under beds and overshelves, inside and outside 46 we had exhausted everypossibility. We could see Grandmother was 47 , although shetried not to show it. By now, it was 48 outside, and time forbed, as Santa would soon be here.
The next morning, my sisters and I 49 earlyto see what Santa had left under the tree. After breakfast, the family sattogether to 50 presents. “The last gift is to Grandmotherfrom Grandfather.” Father said, in a puzzled voice.
“From who?” There was 51 in mygrandmother’s voice.
“I found that 52 in the closet whenwe got the tree down,” Mother explained.
My grandmother opened it. Her face lit up when shepulled out a(n) 53 golden star. There was a note attached.Her voice trembled（颤抖）as she read it:
Don’t be 54 with me, dear. I brokeyour star while putting away the tree. Thought it was time for a new one, Ihope it brings you as much 55 as the first one. MerryChristmas.
1. A．empty B．cold C．slow D．absent
2. A．wish B．tree C．spirit D．work
3. A．unique B．artificial C．widespread D．alive
4. A．follow B．show C．judge D．admire
5. A．losing B．happening C．missing D．falling
6. A．doubt B．reward C．honour D．treasure
7. A．filled B．covered C．put D．removed
8. A．them B．it C．her D．him
9. A．stop B．move C．start D．stay
10. A．hid B．searched C．lay D．found
11. A．as B．until C．because D．though
12. A．disappointed B．amazed C．excited D．shocked
13. A．snowing B．raining C．blowing D．darkening
14. A．cheered up B．picked up C．woke up D．took up
15. A．pack B．open C．pick D．exchange
16. A．happiness B．fright C．surprise D．hope
17. A．gift B．book C．note D．letter
18. A．big B．old C．shining D．broken
19. A．generous B．angry C．strict D．important
20. A．sadness B．concern C．peace D．joy